Sunday, December 29, 2013

Holiday Workouts

I've been away visiting family for the holidays, which definitely makes working out more challenging!  It's not that I don't have a ton of options, but I'm a creature of habit, and being in someone else's home, without a set routine, makes it harder for me to stay motivated.  That being said, I think I've done a pretty good job of balancing holiday festivities with maintaining fitness.

When I first arrived I found a local hot yoga studio offering a deal of 10 days of yoga for $10- a super deal!  So far I've gone to four classes, and will end up going to seven classes over the 11 days I'm here- not too shabby.  On top of which I've done three short-to-medium length runs (including one track speed workout) and plan on a longish run on New Year's Day.  I also met an old friend for Crossfit yesterday.  So although I haven't gotten too many miles in, I've been working out every day so I don't think I'm losing any fitness- I actually think switching up my workouts (running->yoga) helps to increase fitness by working different muscles.  

I now have about 6 weeks until Delirium 24 hour, and although I haven't been putting in the high mileage I know some have, I think my fitness is on point.  I plan on continuing with a variety of crosstraining and doing weekly speed work.  I am also doing an informal 50 mile run in Charleston next week, where I will try to maintain my starting pace goal for Delirium.  I have always done well on lower mileage and more crosstraining, so while the temptation to push for more miles is there, I am once again trying to avoid comparing myself to others...if it ain't broke, why fix it?  If Delirium doesn't go as well as I'd like, I will modify my methods for my next planned 24 hour- Merrill's Mile in July.  Until then, here's hoping I'm on the right track!

No comments:

Post a Comment